Below is your weekly dose of 4 Thought Friday, a short list of idea’s, thoughts, and experiments from a few members of the Mako Team. Enjoy!
Dianne asked if we could put a pull-up bar in the backyard the other day and I thought it was a great idea. Although after doing some research I decided we weren’t just going to put up one bar but an entire workout system with dip bars and rings. I’ve talked about the joy of building things and working with your hands before, but this project has again brought to light for me the happiness that comes from completing a project. Along the way, I had to solve some problems and every project has its own set of issues, but it is creating the solutions and watching them work that makes for an enjoyable and fun project.
Brandon: Learn to Use Your Rest Day
These days are more important than your training days if you want continued success with training without injury or burnout.
I keep the balance by focusing on these things:
- Moving lightly and avoiding high impact movements or prolonged hip hinging(rowing, lifting, or sitting). I like to bike or walk for 30-60 mins and get up and move regularly throughout the day.
- Getting outside to enjoy alone time allows me to process my thoughts. I find it very relaxing to spend time in the sun and nature without distractions to my rest time(phone, TV, people)
- Eating well and meal prepping food to succeed through the next bout of training days. Nutrition is key to recovery.
- Resting throughout the day and setting myself up for a good night’s sleep. Or I use the time I would usually be training to get in a nap. Rest is the number ONE to getting stronger, faster and being able to repeat that for upcoming training days.
- Spending time with family and friends this day helps me balance my time, so I feel right about the time I do spend on training and in the gym. Boulding our connections with those that matter the most keep us happy and therefore healthy.
Now, if you say, you do not have time for these things, my question is how do you find time to come to the gym to workout? These days are just as important, so trade the days you limp through the workout for some quality recovery time and come back the next day and CRUSH IT! You will see more return on your time in the gym when you spend the time giving back to your mind and body.
Scott: “Cuz for the Cauze”
Starting this month, I will be scheduling a monthly community service day. This will be our chance to get out into the community and volunteer to help out. These outings will be scheduled on Saturdays for 3 or 4 hours and I encourage everyone to help out when they can. I am open to any suggestions or ideas that any of you have for other opportunities in the community that you feel we can be of service. Be on the lookout for this month’s work! The details are being worked out!
Looking for an excellent outside/beach speaker? I recommend the Flip 4 by JBL. The Flip 4 has 12 hours of playtime and is waterproof. It has incredible sound, which is great if you love the outdoors. If you are straight ballin’, you can purchase a few Flip 4s and sync them together to make it sound like a concert on the beach. Rock on!
Do have any recommendations that would benefit our Mako Community? Please share your recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org and get featured on our weekly 4 Thoughts!